According to ESPN, Devean George will exercise his rare no-trade clause to block a proposed blockbuster trade that would have sent Jason Kidd to the Dallas Mavericks. We chronicled the trade and its fantasy impact on FBP earlier today , but apparently it is NOT going to go through.
Summary of today’s events:
- New Jersey and Dallas agreed to the deal in principal earlier today
- They were set to take the trade to the league first thing tomorrow
- Devean George informed the Mavericks he wouldn’t accept the trade
- According to the Dallas Morning News, Mark Cuban was asked if he thought the trade would go through and he responded: “No, I don’t think so”
- Avery Johnson also had this to say about trades in general: “[many trades] get to the 20-yard line, inside the red zone, and don’t get into the end zone”
So it looks like this deal isn’t happening just yet. My belief is that some sort of deal gets done in the end, with or without George (talk about an important piece of puzzle <–sarcasm). Why the heck does George have a no-trade clause anyway? I mean sure he’s a veteran now and I know he “won” (more like sat around and was gifted) 3 championships while with the Lakers, but this is absurd.
I’d be interested to hear from our readers in the comments what they thing will happen with this situation–will Kidd eventually find his way to Dallas?–if so, for who?
Also, for more NBA breaking news subscribe to FBP’s RSS feed.